Our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Scheme members will enjoy a weekly supply of local fresh vegetables, all grown without the use of artificial fertilizers or pesticides and the opportunity to purchase fresh, pastured eggs in Colliers End, Ware.
Community supported agriculture (CSA) is a partnership between farmers and the local community, providing mutual benefits and reconnecting the people to the land where their food is grown.
To find out more about what a CSA is and examples from across the UK see https://communitysupportedagriculture.org.uk/.
It sounds great! How do I join?
Is it for you?
- You are looking for fresh, organically grown vegetables and healthy, nutritious eggs from happy hens and want to participate in the farming experience on a beautiful, green and open small holding with other local people.
- You live within 7 miles of the farm (SG11 1EP) and can pick up your weekly veg box and eggs from the farm on either a Wednesday or a Saturday or have delivery on a Monday night.
- You may be toying with the idea of having an allotment but can't find the time needed to do this alone (average 12 hours a week).
- You may have children and have the desire for them to see where their food comes from and need a welcoming place where they can get muddy outdoors while they learn.
- You would relish the opportunity to volunteer alongside people of all ages, genders and races,from all walks of life, some may be in recovery from a physical or mental illness or otherwise using the farm as a bridging place to help overcome social isolation and find connection at a vulnerable time in their lives.
A different types of membership, is it for you?
- You sign up for a 12 week subscription and pay in advance. This gives us the financial security we need to operate.
Whats in the box?
Whatever is looking good in the garden that week! There will be a vegetable planting plan but we can't specify exactly what will be in the box.
- A seasonal selection of Greens based vegetables: Rainbow Chard, Kale, Spinach, Rocket, Salad, Lettuces, Courgettes, Broccoli, Cucumbers, Pumpkins, Sugarsnap peas, French beans, Beetroot, Carrots, Garlic and herbs
- PLUS Eggs!
The amounts will be;
£12 for 7 or more different portions of Veg. £144 for the 12 week subscription.
£1.80 per half dozen eggs. £33.00 for the 12 week subscription.
(prices are competitive with other organically grown retailers)
What does the volunteering work involve?
There are many jobs to do around the farm including:
- Working in the veg beds
- Working in the polytunnels
- Working in the flower garden
- Planting seeds,
- Transplanting seedlings
- Harvesting the veg and flowers
- Helping with the veg boxes
- Topping up the bark paths
- Woodwork / making or fixing things
- Moving the chickens
- Feeding the chickens
- Collecting eggs
There is a choice of jobs to do each week and members choose which jobs suit them the best. And you can do one job for an hour or so and then swap and do something different.
Some jobs involve sitting down – e.g. planting seeds. Others can be more strenuous and these are often very popular with those who use their farm membership as an alternative to joining a gym!
The relevant tools and training are provided.
If this sounds like your cup of tea then
email@example.com for more information.
You will have the unique opportunity of being a member of the first CSA in East Hertfordshire and helping shape and build this project from scratch.